2016 Singapore Passes Explained: EP, SP, DP, WP, LTVP, PR(Final All-In-One)

Feeling worried about the whole process? Not sure what to do?

3 Main Problems of Singapore PR Application

1. Slim Chance of Approval

Since 2009, Singapore has cut down the number of approved Permanent Resident applications by 50%. If you submit your Singapore PR application similarly like the rest, how are you going to convince the officials to approve yours?

2. Complex Process

It is quite easy to search online for the procedures to apply for Singapore PR. However, the whole process is much more complex than you think. One small mistake in your documentation may get your entire PR application rejected.

3. Tedious Work

To apply for Singapore Permanent Resident requires a lot of time and effort. There are forms that need to be filled up correctly and documents to be compiled properly. The amount of paperwork can be very overwhelming and disheartening.

According to a government report, around 29,955 people gained PR status last year, while 20,815 people gained Singapore Citizenship


The Singapore Visa is the ultimate authorization for non-Singaporeans, which allows them to cross borders without a hitch.

Employment Pass

EP is granted to mainly to PMETs – Professionals, Managers, Executives and Technicians

  1. A) Category P1 granted to applicants with a basic salary of at least S$7,000.
  2. B) Category P2 granted to applicants with a basic salary of at least S$3,500 but not more than S$7,000.


Salary: Overseas applicants with a fixed monthly salary of S$3,300, and have acceptable qualifications, usually a good university degree, professional qualifications or specialist skills. P1, P2 & Q1 pass holders can apply a Long Term Visit Pass for their spouse and children (aged 21 and below). In particular, P1 & P2 pass holders can also apply for their loved ones the Social Visit Pass. This is applicable for the following family members: common-law spouse, unmarried handicapped children above 21 years old, unmarried step-children under 21 years old,

Qualifications: From 1st March 2014, the restrictions on qualifications have been less strict. Young graduates from good institutions can qualify if they earn at least S$3,300. Older, or more experienced candidates, though, will need higher salaries to qualify.

Dependant’s Pass: Candidates earning a fixed monthly salary of S$5,000 can apply for it, while those drawing S$10,000 can apply for the Long Term Visit Pass for their parents.

Eligibility for PR application: Yes. Open for family members as well.

How To Check If You Can Apply EP / SP Pass

S Pass

S Pass is catered for overseas mid-level skilled workers. Applicants will need to undergo a Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) to get an indication of whether he/she meets the requirements. The SAT will take into consideration factors such as: salary, qualifications, skills sets, work industry and experience.


S Pass holders are required to pay a monthly levy of  min $315. The quota for every company’s S Pass holders can only be 25% of the total (local + foreign) workforce.

s pass

Salary: Starting pay of S$2,200

Qualifications: A degree or diploma. Technical certificates are also acceptable, though the certification should include at least 1 year of full time study.

Experience: No official requirements on the years of work experience.

Head count: SP holders in the service industry cannot be more than 15% of the workforce. For other industries, it will be 20%.

S Pass holders drawing a monthly salary of S$5,000 can apply a Dependant’s Pass for his/her legally married spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old.

Eligibility for PR application: Yes.

How To Check If You Can Apply EP / SP Pass

Dependant’s Pass:

Open to EP, SP or EntrePass holders, who may apply to bring over their spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old. The children can also apply directly to study in Singapore primary/secondary schools.

Salary: Guarantors are required to draw a monthly salary of S$5,000 and above.

Qualifications: no restrictions

EP holders’ family members can apply through their companies for a Letter of Consent (LOC). Once approved, can start work immediately without affecting the company quota. As for SP Holders’ family members, they need to wait for approval.

Eligibility for PR application: No, but dependents can try applying together with a guarantor.

Dependent’s pass holders can apply through the ICA and relevant authorities for a LOC to start work in Singapore. Applicants are required to apply for extension to their LOC when the expiration date nears. Otherwise, it will face cancellation, and the dependent’s pass holders could lose their jobs.

WP allows for foreign workers working in the construction, manufacturing, marine, process or services sector. Salary will not be more than S$1,800.

Conditions to meet: skilled overseas workers that have at least SPM qualifications, or NTC-3 qualifications.

Age requirements: Malaysians (18 to 58 years old), non-Malaysians (18 to 50 years old)

Work Permit

Head count: WP holders in the service industry must not be more than 8% of the (local+foreign) workforce. In Singapore, rules dictate that there must 12 local workers for every 1 WP holder. In specialized industries, there can be 7 local workers for every 1 WP holder.


Companies are required to buy and maintain medical insurance coverage of at least S$15,000 per year for every WP holder; they are also required to put up a S$5,000 deposit upfront.

WP holders cannot apply for their family members to come into Singapore, and they cannot apply directly for PR.

Long Term Visit Pass

Long Term Visit passes are for the purpose of family visits, exploring employment opportunities or accompanying children studying in Singapore.


Who can apply:

  1. Spouse of Singaporeans or PR
  2. 1st March 2013 onwards, those who are here to buy/invest in flats
  3. Children studying in Singapore universities, polytechnics and private institutions.
  4. Parents of EP or Entrepass holders
  5. Others (for eg: arts performers, on a work-study experience, or study mamas)

Eligibility for PR application: No, but dependents can try applying together with a guarantor.

So it’s pretty much pray and hope. How do you fulfill the conditions to gain PR status? Here’s a 2016 simple guide.

  1. Eligibility to apply for PR

Just who can apply for PR? Basically all. And despite what DPM Teo said, there’s no real factors that can affect the process. It takes into consideration whether he/she has:

  • A Singaporean spouse, or a child that is yet 21 years old
  • Singaporean parents
  • EP or SP permit holders
  • Investor (Entrepass holders, with a capital investment of around S$2.5m)

Tips to take note of:

WP holders cannot apply for PR, but if his/her spouse is a Singaporean/PR/EP & SP holder, maybe can apply with a guarantor.

Study mamas and those on study pass cannot apply for PR, unless they fulfill any of the four criteria above.

Singapore pr

  1. What documents are needed? (Remember, make copies for everything!)
  • The main PR application form
  • Company endorsement form (to be filled by HR department)
  • Passport (personal particulars page, all passport details that have the latest passport stamps)
  • IC
  • SP/EP or WP
  • Education qualifications
  • Marriage cert (if have, need to be translate into English)
  • Birth Cert (translate in English)
  • Employer’s recommendation letter (must contain details of job employment details)
  • Past 6 months’ payslip
  • Past 3 years income tax report (if don’t have, go to ICA and request to fill in this Appendix-1 PR-PTS form. ICA will then approach IRAS)
  • Company profile (mainly for self-employed EP holders)
  • Education, birth cert, passport and IC of spouse (in English)
  • Birth cert of child (in English)
  • Death cert, or proof of divorce (in English)
  • Any other important supplements (if it can be of any help to you!)
  1. After which, go to ica.gov.sg > apply for permanent residence > e-appointment …go there book a date/time for your appointment. Note: You need a Singpass for access and check your PR application status.

Singapore PR

On the day of appointment, ring all the documents and go to the fifth floor of the ICA building. If you didn’t bring the pre-book notification, go to the counter and ask. They will then assign a queue number to you. After submission, the officer in charge will pass you a receipt. There will be a REF number, which you can log in to the ICA website and check on the application status.

There’s this possibility you will be recalled to add on/amend documents. Just follow the instructions on the follow-up letter and do so.